Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SOUL FOOD- DOI MAACH


I am a complete 'Bangali' and like all bangalis, I absolutely cannot live without FISH-maach.When I first sailed across the seven seas from Kolkata, the first thing I wished I could to sneak into my luggage was fish.

After a few days , some noble hearted colleges (yes I call them so) from work seeing my pitiable plight told me about this place that sold FISH..yes all the kinds.And since then the drive -which is around an hour ...hardly matters. Snow, sun, rain, parking problem, years old fish...who cares... its maach honn!!

This is the first recipe that I tried , and it came out as good as my MAA makes it back home.This one's to you MAA.

Doi Maach
(Fish in yogurt curry sauce)

Ingredients-

Ruhi/Rui maach
1 big onion -finely chopped/grated
1 tbsp each of Ginger and Garlic paste( I prefer using fresh rather than the bottled one)
1 medium sized tomato-finely chopped
Handful-Cilantro/ coriander leaves
2 tbsp of plain yogurt
1 tsp each of Cumin and coriander powder.
1 tsp of Garam masala
1 tsp of each red chilli
2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 - green chilli-slit into halves
Oil
2 Bay leaves
salt and sugar to taste

Method

Marinade the fish in salt and turmeric powder (use 1tsp of turmeric here, to coat the fish pieces)for a 15 mins

Heat the oil in a kadai/ wok/ pan .
As the oil is heated, fry the fish pieces lightly,only to get a golden hue.
Take them out and keep in a separate bowl.

In the same oil,put the bay leaves. Add the onions and fry them till golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan. Add the finely chopped tomatoes . Salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and sugar .

Beat the yogurt with the cumin and coriander powder .

Add the fried fish to the masala in the pan. Then put to heat to simmer and slowly add the yogurt mixture.

Keep covered for on very low heat 8-10 mins.

Just before removing from heat add the garam masala and the cilantro.

Serve hot with Basmati rice.

Yummo !! njoy .

No comments:

Post a Comment